Undoubtedly, tooth discoloration is one of the most common tooth defects in Nigeria. People get their teeth stained as a result of drugs, water, or sometimes hereditary. In the past, people used substances like charcoal, ash, and glass to achieve their smile dreams. As of today, technology has improved from those to teeth whitening kits, laser whitening procedures, teeth whitening paste, and the likes of them.
Teeth whitening kits have become a platter. Every toothpaste brand has succeeded in producing a remedial solution to helping people achieve a bright smile. Because of its convenience, a lot of people jump on it without being aware that teeth whitening kits is no guarantee to achieving a perfect smile.
Further research on the ingredients available on every teeth whitening kit has revealed that the content of hydrogen peroxide lies within the range of 10% – 15% which is minimal to helping to achieve a perfect smile. On the other hand, dentists have and are offering long whitening procedures using hydrogen peroxide concentration which is up to 40%, thus making the effectiveness of a walk-in teeth whitening procedure more effective than the former.
Teeth Whitening Kits: What are They?
These kits come in different forms, however, they are mainly a collection of trays and tubes of whitening gel/syringes used to bleach the teeth. For usage, the trays are often filled with the substance and placed on the teeth for a while before rinsing. Here is a list of the various types of teeth whitening kits.
- Teeth Whitening Kits with moldable trays
This type of whitening kit needs to undergo heat before usage. You have to heat them up before placing them on your teeth, achieve your teeth mold, then place in the whitening gel to achieve results.
2. Whitening kits with prefilled trays
Just like the name, these trays were already filled with whitening gel. All you need do is to place them on your teeth. This is the most common as they come in really handy and convenient to use.
3. Whitening kits with LED lights
As of now, LED whitening kits are becoming popular. This is because this looks finer and is said to be more effective when compared to others. The kit is attached to led light to help with even distribution of gel substance on the teeth. Most whitening kits come with manuals and teeth shades. When you purchase one, ensure that you go through it in order to track your progress.
The process of teeth whitening is similar to any bleaching process. The application of the teeth whitening substance and the amount of time used facilitates the teeth whitening process. The gel substance contains carbamide peroxide and hydrogen peroxide as the main ingredients. Fast-acting gels contain higher hydrogen peroxide concentration making them more effective in removing stains and deep coloration. With prefilled and doable trays, the contact between the substance and your teeth is what propels the whitening action. On the other hand, LED light enhances the effect of hydrogen peroxide on the teeth.
How To Use Teeth Whitening Kits: Process and Frequency.
Teeth whitening kits are designed to be used for two weeks and most of them take about an hour before you begin to see effects. Despite this, the number of days required for usage varies on the type of teeth whitening kits you are using. Even for the best of results, the following instruction would help you attain a bright smile.
TO WHITEN TEETH USING KITS WITH PRE-FILLED TRAYS, YOU MUST FOLLOW THE FOLLOWING STEPS:
- Brush your teeth.
- Remove two trays from the packaging.
- Line the top tray against the bottom of the top teeth and carefully push the tray upwards onto the teeth.
- Repeat this step for the bottom tray.
- Close your mouth, but be careful not to bite down hard to avoid oozing the gel.
- Keep the trays in position for the specified period as in the instructions. Afterward, remove and dispose of the trays.
- Use water to rinse the teeth and gums of any excess gel.
FOR MOLDABLE TRAYS WITH SYRINGE GELS, THE FOLLOWING STEPS APPLY:
- Gently brush your teeth.
- Heat some water, but don’t let it boil, as this would compromise the tray.
- Place one tray into the water for about five seconds.
- Remove the tray from the hot water and instantly place it in your mouth. Bite down on the tray, pressing it against the back and front of the teeth until it fits comfortably.
- Let the tray cool, and if it doesn’t fit your teeth properly, repeat the steps above.
- Repeat the steps involving heating and fitting for the other tray.
- Ensure that the trays are clean, cool, and dry.
- Add some gel into the trays, just enough to avoid oozing the gel onto the gums.
- Fit the trays onto the teeth, wiping off any excess gel to avoid damaging your gums.
- Keep the trays in position for the recommended period, usually about 30 minutes.
- Remove the trays and remove the gel on your teeth by rinsing.
- Clean the trays.
What Are the Best Teeth Whitening Kits?
There are plenty of teeth whitening kit brands available in the market today. And just like with any other teeth whiteners, results may vary from one user to the other. Generally, the effectiveness of these kits depends on the hydrogen peroxide concentrations and how well users follow the instructions given.
While choosing the best whitening kit may be difficult, a good rule of thumb is using whitening kits recommended by a dentist. Going through credible and trustworthy teeth whitening kit reviews may also help simplify your searching process.
In conclusion, achieving a pearly white smile is everyone’s dream. Teeth whitening has proven to offer an easy and convenient way to keep the teeth perfect but may not always match the results as with in-office teeth whitening procedures. Though, there are daily improvements on whitening kits to help attain a better result. That begs the question: Do teeth whitening kits really work?
A Word of Caution
Some teeth whitening kits do work to certain limitations. They can be effective at eliminating some stains and teeth discoloration, but their effectiveness may vary among users. Be careful what you buy in the market. Some of the kits can have significant damage to your teeth because of the chemicals in them and the process they use. We would always advise you to speak to a professional before purchasing them or applying them. The damage they can cost if not conducted properly could be very costly. For proper teeth whitening, ask your dentist for in-house teeth whitening which would be conducted by a professional in a safe environment.