For many Nigerians, any tooth-related disease is believed to be easily solved with a salt and water solution. Although this practice could yield temporary results, it is dangerous, because the salt solution is acidic and can have an adverse effect on the tooth. The importance of the teeth is usually overlooked until you have tooth decay or dental caries. Have you ever imagined your teeth all decayed or you waking up to find out you suddenly have no teeth at all? That seems scary, right? Imagine the difficulty one would experience in eating and speech. What about the discomfort and pain that comes with tooth decay? Or the damage it could cause to your looks? You can do away with all of these by giving your teeth the proper care and attention it deserves.
What do you know about dental caries (tooth decay)?
Dental caries, popularly known as tooth decay or cavity, are one of the most common diseases in the world today. A recent study shows that up to 30% of the Nigerian population is suffering from dental caries.
Dental caries is caused by acid-producing bacteria that make hollow dents on the surface of your teeth that can further result in severe pain in the affected area and surrounding areas, infection, and ultimately, tooth loss. In most cases, the first stages of tooth decay are painless; subsequently, one may begin to feel a sharp pain when taking hot or cold foods. When not treated properly at the first stages, tooth decay can spread, causing severe pain and dark holes in the teeth.
I think I have dental caries. (Do not worry, we are here to help you out).
If you are still in your early stages of dental caries, maybe you have been feeling a slight pain in your tooth. All you need to do is to keep to the golden rule of brushing two or more times daily with fluoride toothpaste. You also have to watch your intake of sugary foods and drinks such as candy, chocolate, sodas, etc. Most importantly, pay regular visits to your dentist; this will do you so much good.
If you have been experiencing consistent sharp pain and discomfort in your tooth, it is probably because you are already in the advanced stages of dental caries. Do not fret, we have a solution for you. At this stage, it is very important that you seek proper medical attention from a dental clinic like Smile 360 Dental Clinic. Here, you are going to be attended to by dental professionals who will help rectify all the damages you might have incurred from dental caries, through some dental processes such as, drilling, filling, tooth extraction, root canals, etc., returning you your lost comfort and self-confidence in no time. No pain! No stress!
How do I prevent dental caries? (That’s quite simple!)
Remember, dental caries is majorly caused by poor oral hygiene, which means it can as well be prevented by proper oral hygiene practices.
- Brush regularly (at least two times a day) for at least two minutes. Make use of a fluoride paste or gel.
- Floss regularly. Floss after brushing and at intervals, especially if you eat chewy and sugary foods often.
- Avoid excess intake of sugary foods and drinks, their residue can increase your chances of having tooth decay.
- Eat healthily. We understand that it is not so easy as a Nigerian to feed on healthy foods and vegetables, but you should try to make a conscious effort to achieve this for a healthier body and healthier teeth.
- Pay regular visits to your dentist. After adhering to all of the rules mentioned above, it is still very important that you visit your dentist regularly. If you haven’t been faithful to that, you can walk into any of Smile 360 dental clinics in Lagos and Abuja for a proper consultation and dental treatment.
Finally, dental caries is not just a child thing; it happens to adults too. It is also not an adult thing; it happens to children too. Oral hygiene is a responsibility for everyone regardless of their age or class. It is worthy to note that dental caries is usually curable if given prompt care and attention.